I need a holiday...in Rome.

Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck
Inspiration.  It comes out of the blue.  Whether it's a scene from a movie, a lyric in a song, or maybe a photo in a magazine.  Sometimes it's something as silly and small as an address mentioned in a 57 year old movie that generates a little spark...and off we go.....

"Via Margutta 51" - a line uttered by Gregory Peck (as reporter Joe Bradley) to a cab driver and later to Audrey Hepburn in a scene from Roman Holiday. Was it real?  Does it still exist?  Yes and yes. 

Via Margutta
Although the interior of Joe Bradley's apartment was a studio set, the exterior scenes were shot on the real "Via Margutta".  It turns out that this street has an remarkable history.  Famous artists such as Pablo Picasso, Stravinsky and Puccini lived and worked in apartments and workshops on this very street. (Ok, art is not my thing and the only name I'm familiar with is the first one, but it's still pretty cool.)  Some of these buildings, which have been around since the 1800's, have been converted into hotels -see the link to Rome Luxury Suites below. The hotels (or suites) are owned and operated by the great grandson of the Marquis Francesco Patrizi who built these studios for the likes of Fredrico Fellini and others to live and work in originally.  There are three properties, one on Via Margutta a few doors down from Gregory Peck's apartment (pictured) and two on neighboring streets.  These buildings are protected by Italian Ministry of Culture and have been painstakingly remodeled for today's traveler.
Luxury Suites
Up and coming artists - no doubt looking for a little of that famous inspiration - used to call Via Margutta home, although, due to increased tourism to the street (largely because of this movie) it's become a wee bit expensive for the average starving artist. The street is now known more as a place to buy expensive art rather than create it.  Via Margutta, however, does hold festivals every year to celebrate new artists and perhaps discover the next Pablo.  The festival 100 Pittori in via Margutta (100 painters on via Margutta) takes place every April and November.


Hand-crafted bags
Today, Via Margutta is filled with high end art galleries, antique shops, cafes, and "small" designer stores; one owned by relatives of Bulgari (jewelers) and even a small Valentino store around the corner.  There's also a shop called Saddlers Union that makes and sells hand crafted leather goods, read: handbags.  Imagine getting a custom made, Italian bag personalized with your name or initials.  Let's see....a handbag from Rome or a t-shirt from Rome...hmm..what will it be?

Via Margutta is near other very popular tourist sites in Rome.  The Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain are within walking distance. So, if you're looking for a good, centralized place to stay while in Rome, this could just be the place for you.  It was good enough for Mr. Peck - I mean Joe Bradley.
Now


Then

Then
Now
The Spanish Steps
(sigh)
Some time ago, I came across an article written by a woman who visited several historical locations from Roman HolidayShe offers some good tips on how to see it all.  Here is a link to that article: http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/rome/vs_roman_holiday.htm.


Audrey with her Oscar for Roman Holiday
There is also another great site that lists all of the locations from the film and a description of each:

Below are some Rome hotel sites, hotel reviews and suggestions for things to do and see while you're there.
Ciao, Bella!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I didn’t dip my toe in an ocean until I turned 25 and my friend Sandy and I traveled to Puerta Vallarta, Mexico. After that week, I was hooked. I loved being somewhere new; smelling the smells, tasting new food, seeing how other people lived. It energized me. As luck would have it, I landed a job that allowed me to travel all over the US and often to Canada. Being a sports event television producer, I was on the road all the time. That's when my love affair with travel began. Now, its 20 years later and still no one gets more “geeked up” about planning a vacation than I do. All I need is a destination and some travel companions and my fire is lit! I start delving into my favorite hotel sites, sifting through photos and reviews, comparing, contrasting -it’s like an addiction. The travel shows with tips and trends? I study them like a playbook. I LOVE doing the things most people hate doing before they go on vacation. Whether it be searching for a food tasting tour with a local or discovering a romantic B&B in the middle of New York - I’ve found it and I’ll share it with you. So....where should we go?